50.31

Here's a version with some humor woven throughout:


Exercise! Shed those pounds! Get fit! Have you looked at yourself lately?

This has been the constant refrain from my parents, a few friends, and an assortment of well-wishers who apparently had nothing better to worry about. It's hardly a novel message—I've heard it roughly as often as I've heard my own name. I did make an honest attempt back in 2005, when I joined a local gym. After months of rigorous, sweat-soaked workouts, I shed 9 kilos in 8 months—a genuine triumph. Then my work relocated to a new, farther office, my commitment quietly packed its bags, and I never saw the inside of that gym again. Cricket stayed on as my sporadic physical activity, joined by the occasional game of table tennis at work—less exercise, more an excuse to make cherished memories with colleagues from my project.

Fast forward to November 2010, when positive changes began with my move to London. The first six months were a period of so-called healthy eating—"so-called" because it was less a diet and more the result of London breakfast options being limited to toast and muesli. Cricket and tennis became occasional pastimes, and walking became a significant part of my daily routine. Without the convenience of a car as I'd had in Chennai, I found myself walking everywhere, and the grams began quietly slipping away—a few here, a few there.

In May 2012, I finally did the unthinkable and joined a gym. My routine: a 30-minute treadmill walk, 20 minutes of cycling, and preparation for a genuine challenge—the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge 5k run. Despite being waitlisted initially (the universe testing my resolve), my training intensified. My trainer introduced interval work, alternating 8 kmph runs with 4 kmph walks—brief bursts of glory followed by grateful recovery. With the JP Morgan run as my goal, I bumped my running sessions from 3 to 5, chasing something resembling peak performance.

As the race approached, I abandoned every other exercise and devoted myself entirely to conquering 5k on the treadmill. My attempts culminated in the following times:

  • First attempt (July 3rd): 46.41
  • Second attempt (July 5th): 45.32
  • Third attempt (July 6th): 44.06
  • Fourth attempt (July 9th): 44.05

You'll notice the numbers going down. I was quietly proud.

On July 11th, despite rain before and during the early stages of the race, I persevered through slippery tracks—running, walking, and occasionally praying I wouldn't slip. Crossing the 5k mark, my timer read 45 minutes—a real achievement for my first outdoor 5k. Then, in a burst of ambition I didn't know I had, I pushed harder and finished the full race (5.6 km) in 50 minutes and 31 seconds—50.31! Not bad for someone who'd spent the better part of a decade ignoring all that well-meaning advice.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toastmastering in UK

Adaptability vs. Experience: What Actually Moves the Boat Forward

A Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience: My Unforgettable Journey to Olympic Park, London